Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Rocking Chair

 
A rocking chair I hear
in the room above mine;
a lady from a marriage
short-changed
rocking past cares away
with the present by design.
 
"Work, work, I call upon you,
take my cares away;
keep me busy with chore
and hobby;
distract me from the missing ring-
forfeit ring of wedding day.
 
"Comfort, comfort, comfort me,
in your own time;
as I rock and drink glass after glass
of loving warming wine.
Grant me the courage to sleep again
before the midnight chime."
 
The rocking chair stops.
Walking, I suddenly hear.
The lady paces back and forth;
walks to think, to recover
her sanity;
walks to outrun an outcast's fear.
 
A blurring bed calls,
but the lady returns instead
to the comfort of her
rocking chair, only to pause,
to toast midnight's chime,
filled with new day's dread.
 
D.M.W. November 15, 2012
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment